Friday, July 30, 2021

Looking back - July 2016

 
July 2016 (five years ago):  I started the month with the USA Mountain running championships.  The National Mountain running championships at Loon Mountain had been my goal race for 2016 since it was announced 6 months before.  I got out well and was somewhere around 100th place as we started climbing in the first ½ mile
 
Erik Vandendries and I would yo-yo much of the race.  I’d close on him on the downhill and he’d pull away on the up.  At 3.8 miles we hit the first real test of the day the really tough grass climb of ½ mile.  A lot of guys were walking this and I passed many on this section.   We had just under a mile to the gondola with over 700’ of climb.  Erik was running the same pace as me and I was not closing the gap.  We reached the gondola with 10 seconds between us. I put 30+ seconds on Erik (although I didn’t know it at the time) and hit the final 1 kilometer of tough climb in the lead of the 50+ age group.  I took a peek at 250 to go and could see Erik but was pretty sure I could hold him off.  I ran as hard as I could crossing the line in 1:00:13 and collapsing to the ground after.  Erik came in a few seconds later and Jeff Hunt rounded out the top three in the 50+.  CMS sweep of the medals!!!
 
Teams
            Open (6 teams, 5 score)              
1          CMS      4:51:03                                    
2          Acidotic 5:10:50                                    
                                                                       
            40+ (8 teams, 3 score)                            
1          CMS      2:56:10                                    
2          Acidotic 3:14:12                                    
                                                                       
            50+ (7 teams, 3 score)                            
1          CMS      3:01:55                                    
2          Acidotic 3:41:01                                    
 
Top 15 50-54                                       
1          1:00:13 Dave Dunham     MA        CMS     
2          1:00:37 Erik Vandendries MA        CMS     
3          1:01:03 Jeff Hunt            MA        CMS     
4          1:02:57 Jeff Walker         ME        Dirigo   
5          1:04:15 Tom Thurston     VT         GMAA   
6          1:04:48 Dan Verrington    MA        CMS     
7          1:05:15 Christopher Smith MA        SRR      
8          1:05:32 Ed Sheldon         NH        CMS     
9          1:05:42 Brian Ruhm        NH        GCS      
10         1:07:26 Rich Chalmers     ME        Dirigo   
11         1:08:54 EJ Hrynowski      MA        GLRR    
12         1:10:52 Scott Thomas     FL                    
13         1:10:56 Peter Keeney      ME        aR        
14         1:11:12 Jeff Walker         RI                    
15         1:14:09 David Lapierre    MA        CMS     
                                                                       
                        Overall                                    
1          0:49:11 Joseph  Gray      CO        Club NW
2          0:50:17 Brett      Hales    UT                   
3          0:50:36 Matt      Daniels  CO        Hudson
 
Next up was the Cranmore Hill Climb – I definitely felt a let-down after the Loon Mountain race.  This was the 11th time racing at Cranmore and every year has featured a different course.  It was foggy and only about 60 degrees when I arrived in North Conway.  I wasn’t sure who would be the competition in the 50+, but all of the familiar characters were present.  It would come down to who could descend well and who had something left for the second loop.
 
Nearly 200 of us took off in the drizzle and fog of a not typical July morning.  I had teammates Erik Vandenries and Ed Sheldon in my sight a few steps ahead.  The course had twists and turns and all kinds of terrain (grass, single track, cat-track, slick rock). 
One section was only a quarter of a mile but it would climb 400’!  It took me 5:05 to do that climb.  There was a tricky wet rock part right at the top that I nearly wiped out on.  Thanks to the little loop at the bottom I could see that Josh Merlis (ARE), Boule, and Brightman were right behind me (6, 14, and 19 seconds respectively).   The second time up the killer quarter mile (I did it in 5-flat) I was working it a LOT harder than the first lap.  Nothing much changed on the second descent. I managed to stay on my feet and hold position to take 6th place in 57:37 (5.85 miles with 2,400’ of climb/descent).  This was probably the best Cranmore course I’ve ever run.  By best I mean it had just about everything you could want in an up/down Mountain race.  Also, as I crossed the line they were playing Social Distortion (99 to life) and the next song was the Cure (Fascination street), no race is going to top that!
 
Top 5 50+
50+       Pl          Time     Name                Age       City       State     Team
1          6          57:37    Dave Dunham     52         Bradford, MA       CMS
2          12         1:00:37 Brian Ruhm        51         Nashua, NH        GCS
3          14         1:00:52 Ed Sheldon         51         Hooksett, NH      CMS
4          18         1:01:48 Erik Vandendries 51         Chestnut Hill, MA CMS
5          20         1:04:01 Rick Chalmers     54         S Portland, ME    Dirigo
 
Overall
Place     Time     Name                            Age       City, State          Team
1          53:06    Matthew Veiga                29         Lynn, MA            CMS
2          53:55    Tim Van Orden                48         Bennington, VT   CMS
3          54:20    Andy MacGibbon             20         Goffstown, NH   
4          56:02    Christopher Chromczak     31         Delmar, NY        
5          57:10    Patrick Caron                  19                     MA       
6          57:37    Dave Dunham                 52         Bradford, MA       CMS
7          58:39    Craig Nale                      32         S Portland, ME   
8          58:51    Steve Brightman             47         Providence, RI   
9          59:23    Patrick Conway               39         Anchorage, AK   
10         59:43    Jim Boule                       49         Campton, NH      aR
 
 
My final race of the month was the Lynn Woods Cross-Country Series:  It has been four years since I last raced at Lynn Woods.  This was my 10th time doing either a weekly series race or the relay at Lynn.  They always do a nice job, but I have trouble getting excited to do a race in the summer heat and especially struggle with racing late at night (6:30 pm is basically bedtime for me).  I really needed to get some leg turnover as most of my racing over the last 2 months has been Mountain running.  The Mountain races can make you stronger but they also tend to make you slower.  With the USATF NE road 5 mile only a few weeks away I really needed to get some of the rust off of me.
 
I showed up a bit early and got my number and hydrated a bit (85 degrees in the shade seemed relatively cool).  There were a lot of familiar faces around but most everyone I knew would be doing the longer of the two races (6 miles & 2.3 were the offerings).  I did my warm-up checking out the 2.3 course and was surprised at how tough it was.  The climbing was no surprise, but the rough footing on the ¾ mile of single-track was something I wasn’t expecting.  They call it a “Cross Country” race but this version may have been better described as a trail race.  The single track would be tough with twists/turns and a lot of rocks/roots.  My goal was to survive that part then hopefully push the 195’ climb from Dungeon road to the Stone Tower.  After the tower the last ½ mile to the finish had 130’ of drop which would shake things out (but hopefully nothing would fall off).
 
I switched into race flats then heard the announcement that the short race would start 10 minutes after the long race (last time I did the race they went together but they wanted to avoid congestion on the single-track).  That gave me a little more time so I headed out for another 1.7 miles with a few strides thrown in.  I felt lousy.
 
After some instructions we were sent on our way.  I took the lead right away and could hear footsteps right behind me as we covered the first half mile (3:31).  It was mostly uphill climbing 100’, the first 400 was on the woods road then we hit the single track.  The guys behind me stayed right on me during the single-track, I considered offering to move over but they weren’t right on me so I held my lead.  The second ½ mile had 80’ of drop but you couldn’t take much advantage as the footing was pretty lousy, we then had a 40’ climb before the final 20’ of drop at the mile mark (3:44 = 7:15 mile).
 
We hit Dungeion road and two kids from Marblehead blew by, along with fellow “senior” runner Jason Barnes.  The lead guy (Oliver Jacob = 4:38 mile & :55 quarter) looked good, his teammate (Ian Strothers = 10:35 2 mile) sounded a bit ragged and he fell off during the .3 that climbed 115’.  I was a few seconds behind Barnes but close back on him as we dropped 20’ by the 1.5 mile mark (3:26).  The next .2 was pretty steep (80’ = 7.5% grade) and I got back up to Barnes and was just a few seconds behind Jacob.
 
After passing the Stone Tower and hitting the 130’ drop I pulled ahead of Barnes but didn’t close on Jacob (3:15 for ½ mile).  With about 200 meters to go he really accelerated and actually took a couple of steps beyond the final left hand turn.  I yelled for him to “go left” and he reversed direction and got back up to speed hitting the line 9 seconds ahead of me.
 
I was happy with the effort although the pace was “slow”, it was a shock to my system for sure!  I’ll have to hit the trail or roads at least one more time before the 5 mile.
 
 
 
Lynn Woods Summer Cross Country            Lynn, MA July  27,2016 6:40 PM
2.3 Cornell to Stone Tower Trail Master: Jeff Laine & Greg Esbitt          138 Finishers
   Pl       Name                S Ag      City, St             Time    Pace 
    1 Oliver Jacob             M 17 Marblehead, MA       15:12  6:37
    2 Dave Dunham          M 52 Bradford, MA           15:21  6:41
    3 Jason Barnes            M 53 Salem, MA              15:27  6:43
    4 Ian Strothers            M 16 Marblehead, MA       15:32  6:45
    5 Tony Mwangi            M 17 Lynn, MA                17:20  7:32
    6 Brandon Mendez       M 17 Lynn, MA                18:04  7:51
    7 Brittani Atkinson        F 23 Peabody, MA            19:09  8:20
    8 Kyle Saulnier            M 15 Marblehead, MA       19:13  8:22
    9 Lai-Sahn Hackett       F 24 Peabody, MA            19:15  8:22
   10 Eric Bowden             M 47 Lynn, MA                19:48  8:37
 
 

No comments: