Tuesday, October 19, 2021

USA masters XC championships

 Next up was the race I’d been aiming for, the Masters USA XC championship. I hadn’t done XC nationals since 2017 and was looking forward to racing again at Franklin Park.  I had a minor issue with a migraine on Saturday into Sunday morning, but it wasn’t a “full-blown” one and I was able to manage it.  Dan Verrington picked me up at 8:30am for the drive in and it was just like old times.  Dan and I are probably the longest continuous members of the Central Mass Striders with my CMS days going back to 1992 and Dan to 1993.  On this day we’d be representing the 40+ team (masters) instead of the 50+ squad (seniors) as there weren’t enough 40-49 guys to make up a full squad. It made sense as best case either of us would be 7th man on the very strong 50+ team but was still a bit of a bummer as that team was in the hunt for the Gold medal.  We met up with the crew and Tim Van Orden joined Dan and me for a course preview.  This is a great spectator course as we’d loop through the field at ¾ mile, 1.75 miles, and the final ½ mile.  I felt okay on the warm-up but a little flat.  It was exciting seeing old friends and competitors and we even got to see a good bit of the 60+ race during the warm-up.  I switched into Inov-8 trail shoes and did another mile to stay loose. My goal for the race was to finish in the top ½ of the field (98 entrants) and top 10 in my age group.  Of course, I’d have no idea during the race what place I was in but with color-coded age group numbers on everyone’s back I’d be looking to pass anyone with a “55-59” target on their back.  As we took off through the field at the start, I was a bit surprised to see Dan a couple of strides ahead.  He had noted how much trouble he was having with slow starts.  Dang, it felt plenty fast to me and he was right there.  I got into a good rhythm and by ½ mile in started passing people.  Only one guy would pass me over the remainder of the race.  I hit the mile in a step over six minutes and continued to move up.  Bear cage hill was tough, and I pushed on the downhill after it and could see a group of four guys in my age group a little ahead.  I caught that group by 2 miles and worked to drop them in the “wilderness” section of the course.  I never really gained on them and at 2.5 Alejandro Heuck went flying by.  I tried to go with him but just didn’t have the speed.  I held my place but lost some ground to those in front of me as the last quarter mile seemed to take forever.  I ended up missing my goals with 55th place overall and 13th in my age group but was still pleased with the effort.  Only two guys in front of me were my age or older.  Dan had a solid run crossing the line 24 seconds after me.  The CMS 50+ squad (Greg Putnam, Tim Van Orden, Scott Grandfield, Todd Callaghan, Joe Shairs, Steve Brightman) took the National Champion title!  Paul Baz (8th in the 65-69) joined Dan and me for another tour of the course for a warm-down which was a pleasant close-out to the day.

 


MALE AGE GROUP: 55 - 59

1              17:31       Nat Larson              59            Amherst Ma            GSH

2              18:03       Kenneth Barbee      57            Philadelphia Pa        Gtr Phillie

3              18:21       Mike Nier                56            Rochester Ny          GVH

4              18:22       Alan Evans              58            Beaver Dams Ny     GVH

5              18:25       Scott Grandfield      56            Rehoboth Ri            CMS

6              18:32       John Mcmahon       55            Williamsville Ny       Checkers AC

7              18:37       Jason Cakouros       56            Milton Ma                HFC

8              19:02       Mark Hixson            56            Simsbury Ct            GSH

9              19:03       Dale Flanders          56            Allegany Ny             GVH

10            19:17       Alejandro Heuck     56            Amherst, Ma           GSH

11            19:21       Scott Siriano           55            Dillon Co                 Mass Velocity

12            19:22       John Hogan            56            Washington, Nj       Garden St

13            19:25       Dave Dunham         57            Bradford Ma            CMS

14            19:25       Harold Porcher        57            Bloomfield Nj          Garden St

15            19:35       Bobby Bligh             57            Wakefield Ma          HFC

16            19:49       Daniel Verrington    59            Bradford Ma            CMS

17            20:08       Scott Armstrong      58            Pottstown Pa           Gtr Phillie

18            20:39       Francis Burdett       56            Worcester Ma         GSH

19            20:55       Wayne Crandall      58            West Henrietta Ny  GVH

20            20:57       Carl Johnston          56            Pittsford Ny             GVH

21            22:39       Harris Hardy           58            Somerville Ma         Athletics East

22            23:45       Bill Newsham          56            Brookline Nh           GBTC

23            23:50       William Timmins     59            Scituate Ma            

24            24:18       Christopher Pasko   56            Wellesley Ma           Wellesley Wings

No comments: