Saturday, October 1, 2022

NH rail trail challenge

 I'm using up a lot of time before I lose it at the end of the year (can't carry it over).  So, I had Friday off and scheduled a few of the southern NH rail trails as I'm working on getting the challenge patch.

I was up at 4am and out the door by 5.  It was pitch black and 40 degrees when I got to the Potanipo rail trail in Brookline NH.  I was glad I brought my headlamp as I needed that for the first 2 miles of my three mile run. The trail was nice but only about 1 mile long so not something I'd typically visit.

Next up was the Greenville recreational rail trail. I parked on Pratt Pond road and did a nice out/back three mile run.

At 8am I was running again on the New Boston rail trail.  This one was also very nice. It had fantastic footing and a big parking lot (Parker road near the northern end of the trail).  My only complaint about this trail is the kind of lousy map they have online, it is broken down into 3 parts and they overlap a lot so it is really hard to figure out.  I'm pretty good with maps and found it a little frustrating.





My final run of the morning was on the Southern Manchester rail trail.  The sun was up and it was getting a lot more comfortable for running (my hands were cold especially at New Boston - 37 degrees).  I headed south for about a mile to the Cohas Brook trestle bridge.  Richard Bolt and I had run there MANY years ago and I recall crawling across the bridge.  I didn't cross this time as the other side of the bridge may (or may not?) be posted. I headed back north and then added on with some running on the completed and paved section of the trail.  That part was very nice and you would not know you were in Manchester.







I have five (or possibly six) trips left and I'll have visited all of the rail trails.  Hoping to finish that during my vacation in a couple of weeks.


No comments: