Friday, February 12, 2021

Looking back: Feb 1991

 30 Years ago - I raced five times in February of 1991, all road races. I started the month off with a tie at the Lynn Stew Chase. Lou Ristano and I broke away from the field and took turns leading into the wind. We decided to cross together, I believe I was awarded the win in 48:31. A week later I set (the still standing) course record at the Tewksbury Fudgsicle series. I broke Buddy Bostick’s record of 15:31 with a 14:57 on a perfect 40 degree day. The following week I was back in Tewksbury getting a win in 17:10 (taking it easy because I was racing the next day) on a cold 10 degree day. The next day I got a hard fought win at the Paddy Kelly 5m which (in addition to the Lynn race) was part of the first Hockomock Swamp Rat series. I took the win in 24:29 with Frank Ritchie and Mike Woodman close behind in 24:44 and 25:01. The final race of the month was a (then) Greater Lowell Road Runners staple, the Two-some relay. I teamed up with Petey to take first running the 3.6 mile leg in 18:11 (Petey ran 19:05) our total time was 37:16.  We held off Art Demers and Mike Woodman who finished second in 38:21.







No comments: