Saturday, February 13, 2021

Looking back: Feb 1996

25 Years ago - I only ran three races in February of 1996 but I made the best of it with two wins and a second place. I got buried at the Cape Elizabeth Mid-Winter Classic 10 mile as Rob Pierce ran a course record 51:10. I was happy with my race noting “I was alone from 2m on and it was exactly zero degrees out there”. I ran 51:56 and teammate Byrne Decker took third in 53:20. The following weekend I ran the Bradford Valentines race and set the still standing course record of 24:31. Dan Verrington and UMass Lowell coach (and then CMS teammate) Gary Gardner were with me through 2.5 when I broke away for the win. Gary and Dan took second and third in 25:00 and 25:10 respectively. My final race of the month was the Dartmouth Invitational indoor track meet. Craig Fram and I heard that a bunch of fast guys would be there trying to qualify for Nationals. It turned out we were the only two people entered in the 5,000. We decided to alternate 800m each until 2 miles then it was ‘anybody’s race’. I took the lead at 2 and beat Craig running a 14:52. Definitely an unusual race.




No comments: