Monday, March 13, 2023

Looking back - March 1993

 30 years ago:  I ran 6 races during this month in 1993 but three of those were CMS series that I either used as a workout or ran very easy due to other race commitments.  I was doing a bunch of the series races in hopes of picking up a sweatshirt if I completed 26 of them.  I started the month with a win over a field of 27 runners at the CMS series with a 16:56 on a snowy sleety day.  The next day (03/07/93) I topped 565 runners at the NEAC 30km championships in 1:40:14 on a windy and 45 degree day.  Teammate Dan Verrington pushed the pace from 10-12 miles, but I was able to gap him after that and crossed the line 35 seconds in front (1:40:14).  


 A week later it was back to Worcester for an easy jog through of the series race finishing mid-pack in 19:47.  A week later I ran 20:41 as a warm-up to the New Bedford ½ marathon which would be the following day (03/21).  I opened the race with a hard first mile to see who was interested in going with me.  A small pack formed as we covered the rolling first 4 miles in a bit under 5 minute pace.  The race heated up from there with Mike Slinskey, Ed Sheehan, Rachid Tbhai, Dan Verrington and Dennis Simonaitis all joining in the fun.


 Between 6-8 it was down to Danny V, Dennis and me.  Dan was happily chuckling every mile split as he kept setting PR’s.  Although there was a little snow and rain the conditions were quite good as there was little wind. 


Dan fell off after 10 miles and I tried to drop Dennis on the hill at 12 miles but he stuck like glue.  We were stride for stride until about 50 meters to go when I got a step on him and was able to finish 2 strides ahead for the win.  


The race had previously been a big money race but had ZERO money this time which meant a lot of big names didn’t race.  The news hadn’t reached USADA who showed up to conduct testing.  It took FOREVER to produce a sample.                                                                                                    

              


I closed out the month the following weekend with another win at the CMS series.  I topped the field of 63 finishers with a sub-15 effort (14:54).


No comments: