Wednesday, March 29, 2023

More driving to FL

Day 2: Cumberland Valley Rail Trail - Shippensburg PA, I started the day getting some use of my headlamp as it was dark and drizzling.  The first mile of the trail was paved and then it was nice packed dirt.  I caught sight of an Amish farmer as he drove his horse and cart under the bridge as I ran over.  Blue Ridge Tunnel – Afton VA, this was a very interesting trail that brought me to a mile long tunnel under the Blue Ridge Parkway.  The tunnel was literally very cool (maybe 20 degrees cooler than outside).  It seemed very popular, there were about 20 people hiking it on an early Friday morning.  Jackson shot tower & New River Rail Trail – Austinville VA, this was a ‘twofer’ with an interesting stone tower where lead shot was produced and the 57 mile long New River Rail Trail.  I did a nice easy 3 miles on the smooth dirt trail after checking out the tower.  E & A Rail Trail and Overmountain Victory Trail – Elkin NC, I could really tell it was spring on these trail with flowers starting to bloom and temps hitting the low 80’s. The paved rail trail was nice, but the Overmountain trail was a little rough for my aching knee.















No comments: