Sunday, May 5, 2024

Looking back - 1989 & 1994

 

35 years ago – May 1989: I only raced once during this month, but my training was decent as I covered 400 miles with no days off. My one race was a 5.5 mile hilly run in Haverhill, MA. I passed through 5 miles in 24:36 on my way to a win over the field of 250 in 26:54. I got a very nice director’s chair for a prize (which I still have to this day).

 

30 years ago – May 1994: I ran 389 miles this month and raced twice but was bothered by the right side of my back which turned out to be a possible stress fracture and tendonitis of the ilio psoas. First up was the Academic Achievers 5k in Dover NH. I somehow got the time wrong and showed up 2 hours early. Ugh! It was a rainy day with temps in the 50s so it wasn’t very pleasant sticking around. I ended up taking the win in 15:12 in a field of only 93 runners. Two weeks later I ran the Bedford Rotary 12km race. I picked up $200 for the win and a (then) course record of 36:59. I was helped when Rachid Tbahi missed the start! He caught me at four but I pulled away at 7 miles.



No comments: