Saturday, May 4, 2024

Looking back - May 1984

40 years ago – May 1984: I ran 278 miles over this month with no days off and three races. The aim was the NCAA championships late in the month. I started the month off with a win at the Eastern championships in New Britain CT. Wayne Levy (U-Mass) who is still racing for BAA, and I battled back and forth for a good deal of the race. I ended up taking the win on a kick running 31:19. Three weeks later I was back in Cape Girardeau Missouri for the NCAA Championships where I was felled by the heat the year before. This time temperatures were in the mid-90s but they had water and sponges which I took advantage of pretty much every lap. I ran a conservative race, maybe due to fear of passing out. It paid off as I ended up taking third place in 30:39. Three days later I ran the Friends of Lowell 10k road race and ran just hard enough to win (which I did in 32:01).



No comments: