Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Chelmsford 4th of July - Carson Memorial Race

 I wasn’t sure if racing on the fourth of July would be a very good idea.  I got a PRP injection in my knee 10 days before and had only started back to running a few days previous.  Tom H had kindly given me a comp entry and a chance to run my 14th time at the Carson Memorial was too hard to pass up.  My knee was still feeling tender but wasn’t too bad once running.  I got in a 3 mile run at 5:15 to try to loosen up a bit.  I arrived a little early for the 9:30 am start and got to see a lot of familiar faces.  My 1999 Sullivan Farms t-shirt was the oldest version I spotted.  Dave La met me at the 1.5 mile mark to finish his warm-up from home and my warm-up from the start.  It was funny hearing a couple of the guys at the water stop that I know say to each other after I passed “he is still out there doing it”.  That was the best I felt on race morning! It was humid but temps were still only in the 70s, dry-mouth territory but not heat exhaustion weather.  I switched into racing flats and did another mile with some strides.  I wasn’t feeling terrible, just nervous, and worried about the start.  I’d gotten knocked down 3 years ago and with the number of small kids who jump on the start line it is always a rough start.  At least 50 Greater Lowell Road Runners gathered for a team picture (Dave and I are both also members) which broke up some of the tension.  Then it was onto the first fake start line, the second, and finally the real start line.  The post-pandemic years (the race was not held for 2 years) had fields around 1,200, this year there was a resurgence to over 1,800 finishers.  That meant a crazy packed start.
 
I missed hitting my watch at the start as I was using my arms to establish some space as we took off.  I did not realize I missed it until we passed the ½ mile mark and it did not beep.  I started it then, but missing the first ½ mile was a stupid mistake.  I thought I got out well but was feeling sluggish through what should be a quick ½ mile.  Doing the math working with the splits I had, and my finishing time had me going through in 3-flat.  That was a at least 5 seconds slower than hoped for.  Having just finished a 5k in under 6-minute pace I was hoping to run in the low 11:40’s.  I don’t think missing that first split change how I raced.  I went as hard as I could and just never felt smooth.  I got a few shouts along the way (Joe at the water stop, Petey near 1 mile, and my parents with ¼ mile to go) which was nice.  I passed people from ¼ to about 1.5 and only lost a couple of spots in the last ½ to some strong kickers.  It took all I had to struggle into the finish before the clock rolled to 12 minutes.
 
I had just enough time to grab a water as D-la finished.  We ended up taking 1st and 2nd in the 60+ with race director Bob Sullivan taking 3rd.  I grabbed my hidden running shoes that I’d placed behind a tree the previous weekend and had a nice warm-down run back to the start with Jen H.  It was nice getting to catch up and especially nice to have the race over and the worry done.  My time was a disappointment but I’ll enjoy my prize for winning the age group ($20 gift certificate to Sullivan Farms ice cream).
 
Place          Name                            Div/Tot     Guntime   Pace           Div              Age            Sex             City            St
1                 Alex Corbett               1                 9:14           4:37           M1929     27               M                Worcester                 MA
2                 John Mieszczanski   2                 9:25           4:43           M1929     23               M                Chelmsford                 MA
3                 Bryce Anderson        3                 9:59           5:00           M1929     20               M                Harrisburg                   NC
28               Cali Coffin                    1                 11:14        5:37           F1929       21               F                  Nashua     NH
 
Top 10 60+
53               Dave Dunham           1                 11:59        6:00           M6069     60               M                Bradford  MA             60
77               David Lapierre           2                 12:42        6:21           M6069     60               M                Chelmsford MA        705
95               Bob Sullivan                3                 13:02        6:31           M6069     60               M                Chelmsford MA        33
126            Thomas Noyes          4                 13:43        6:52           M6069     61               M                McCormick SC           208
136            Ken Goodin                 5                 13:49        6:55           M6069     69               M                Lowell MA              1433
152            Keith O'Brien              6                 14:02        7:01           M6069     60               M                                                 1641
155            Glenn Ackley              7                 14:05        7:03           M6069     63               M                Chelmsford MA        135
162            Peter Wasylak           8                 14:12        7:06           M6069     68               M                Dunstable MA           14
212            Steve Sears                 9                 14:46        7:23           M6069     64               M                Westford MA             480
221            Gerald Fredrickson  10               14:54        7:27           M6069     62               M                Westford MA             1065


 


No comments: