Friday, March 25, 2011

March 1981


March Looking back:

30 years ago
I closed out my junior year indoor track season with a tenth place finish (9:35.7) at the Eastern championships in Princeton NJ.  Although it was a personal best time I was disappointed and noted that I “felt awful” during the race. 
In the Dome at Princeton on my way to a 9:35 2m.
In between indoor and outdoor track season I hit the roads for only the second (and third) time.  I set a personal best at 5 miles and at 10 km, which is easy to do when you are running the distance for the first time!  I finished 15th at the Shamrock 5m in Boston running 25:17 which was only good enough for 3rd in the 18 and under category.   BMHS teammate John Dangora was one of the juniors ahead of me.  Two weeks later I ran the Lechmere 10km in Peabody and took 12th place in 32:04.  I out-leaned Steve Perkins (Danvers) for the junior category win.  I took home a digital alarm clock that I still have.  That is the oldest race prize that I still have. 

On the last day of the month I started the outdoor season with a PR of 4:31.6 for the mile in a dual meet against Haverhill.  It was only good enough for 2nd place as the Hillies Tom hinds took the win in 4:28.

No comments: