Thursday, March 15, 2012

Looking back - March 1992

20 years ago (March 1992) – Lots of miles of “racing” in this month.  Two of the five races were ones I considered either training runs (Hyannis Marathon) or a workout ( Framingham 10 mile).  All of my training was geared toward the Olympic trials marathon in April.  I kicked off the month with a 30 mile training run with Mike Woodman at the Hyannis Marathon.  It was cold (20’s) and very windy, fortunately we did the extra 3.8 mile before the race because we were both cold and tired after.  This race was also part of the first Hockomock Swamp Rat series and we were both interested in getting points.  We ran side by side to a 2:54:58 for 12th/13th place. 

The following weekend I ran the USATF NE (then New England Athletic Congress – NEAC) 30km championships at the Stu’s 30k.  It was a really close race with me, Dan Dillon and Ed Sheehan trading the lead throughout the race.  I took the win outkicking Dillon by 3/10ths of a second with Ed another 3 seconds back. 

A week later I did a “tempo run” at the New Bedford half marathon.  My goal was 5:10-5:15 pace which was what I was gearing for at the Olympic trials.  I finished in 11th place in 1:08:57.  A week later I headed to Framingham for another tempo, this time over ten miles at the “Terrible 10”.  I ran a little faster than goal pace and took second in 51:04 (Ed Sheehan won in 50:36).  Six days later I was back to RACING, heading out to Pittsfield MA for the New England 20km championships.  It was cold, windy, and there was some snow.  Only 279 finished as I took another win, beating Ed Sheehan by 9 seconds in a 1:04:03.

No comments: