Friday, April 11, 2014

200 County high points (only 2900+ to go)

200th County High Point
 
I had planned on running a 50km race in Arizona to mark my 50th birthday, but my ankle injury meant that a 31 mile run wouldn’t be prudent.  Since I had a plane ticket I decided to do a bit of research and find some nice places to run in the Phoenix area.  Worst case, it would be a nice long weekend with some running in warm weather and sunshine.  I looked at a bunch of different county high points, quickly eliminating any that mentioned “exposure” or “scramble” and came up with Mt Union as a goal.
 
Mt Union was especially attractive as it had a fire tower on top and it could be accessed via a dirt road, so the footing would be good.  I bagged some other small hills while out running.
 
 
 
 

The ascent of Mount Union was pretty easy, although the access road was a bit rough for a low clearance vehicle.  The weather was ideal for the 3 mile round trip.  I spent about 5 minutes on the summit taking pictures.  There was a random snow shower while I was up there, just a few flakes flying but it added to the cool factor of this high point (7,979’). 
 
 From the “Hike Arizona” website:  When miners first explored the Prescott area in the early 1860's, some Confederate sympathizers among them named a nearby high peak "Mount Davis" for Jefferson Davis. In retaliation, Union loyalists named the adjacent higher peak "Mount Union".
 

No comments: