Monday, January 14, 2019

Looking back - January 2009


10 Years ago – January 2009
I only logged 288 miles during this month but raced eight times.  My goal was to do a lot of snowshoe races and the weather cooperated.  I kicked off the year at the Hangover classic, running the JV race (5k) where I took 2nd place on a brutal day.  It was 15 degrees the roads were covered with snow, and the wind was howling at over 30 mph.  I nearly drowned doing the ocean plunge!  Two days later I headed to Tewksbury since it was an “open” weekend (no snowshoe races).  Conditions were good but I ended up alone in 2nd place right from the start.  Jim Johnson took the win in 16:23 and I rolled in 1:37 later.  The next weekend I made the LONG drive to Pittsfield for the Turner trail snowshoe race.  This is a great course with a tough climb and a fast descent.  I hit the top in 2nd but got my doors blown off during the descent and ended up finishing in 5th place 15 seconds behind teammate and top 40+ finisher Tim Van Orden.
 A week later I completed my first double-race weekend of the year.  Jim Johnson and I headed west and stayed out there for the weekend.  I felt pretty lousy at both races finishing in 5th place at Greylock Glen and 4th place at the Brave the Blizzard.    The following weekend I doubled again, this time in Readsboro VT and back to Pittsfield.  At Readsboro I took third place just barely holding off long-time WMAC series ace Ken Clark.  On Sunday I had a decent run at the Curly’s record run.  I love the climb at this race and decided near the top that I wanted to see if I could be the “king of the mountain”, I somehow got around Ben Nephew just before the top and sprinted ahead.  Soon after I lost the lead and ended up in finishing in third place 58 seconds behind Ben.

My final race of the month was one I directed at Northfield Mountain.  A decent field of 77 showed up and I was surprised when partway through I recognized Leigh Schmitt who hadn’t run a WMAC race in years.  He buried me on the descent and I ended up in fourth place just over two minutes behind Josh Ferenc.


No comments: