Sunday, February 14, 2021

Looking back: Feb 2001

20 Years ago - February of 2001 was a busy month for me with 6 races. I ended up with five wins and a second place. The first weekend was a killer double, which was part of another Hockomock Swamp Rat series. I ran the Lynn Stew Chase on Saturday (02/03/01) taking second place (losing by one second on a kick) in 48:09. The next day (02/04/01) I dragged my tired and sore body up to Cape Elizabeth for another shot at the Mid-winter classic. This time I got a surprise win in 53:51 with Bob Winn shadowing me much of the way before taking second in 54:41. I was sick as a dog after the race. The effort definitely took a big toll. The following weekend I doubled again, this time two snowshoe races. On Saturday (02/10/01) I went up to Plattsburgh NY and raced in the first US Snowshoe championships. I took the win by just over 3:30 over Ben Nephew. The following day (02/11/01) I directed and raced over 5km of groomed ski trails at Windblown Ski area taking the win in 21:47. A week later (02/17/01) I took a victory at the Hawley Kiln race in very slow conditions covering the 7m course in 1:01:21 and noting that I “bonked really bad in the last mile”. The final race of the month (02/25/01) was another HSR series race, this time back in Amherst for the DH Jones 10m. The footing was awful with snow, ice and rain during the race. I managed a win in a “very slow” 55:04.













No comments: